Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Another brick in the wall

The 4th day of school marked the beginning of homework for Léah, aged 7. Yesterday we had to start this daily chore, as much a chore for her than for me. The start was harder than I expected. Well, the teacher must think it's fun as she calls it games. Yes, Léah has 3 math games to do as homework. Obviously she did not think that was much of a game, nor did I. The game consists of a timed test of additions and substractions. Which Léah hates. So we had a go at the first of the 3 "games". I got my cooking timer ready, she got her pencil ready and go! She performed the 20 questions in 5 minutes when she ought to do them in less than 2 minutes... During our (oh so nice) holiday in France, I brought my laptop with the firm intention to pratice these mental calculations on Kalcul. But well, I never got to ask Léah to do homework...
"Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone!" ...

Being a parent means you have to stay up-to-date. You have to know that Funeral For A Friend is not a film title but a band name for example. That Fifty Cent is a rapper name. And when Léah says after dinner: "thanks, mummy, that was really good, I was in the red", you must know what she refers to!
Hey, if you're a parent, do you know the answer?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehe! I'm either still young, or old and hip. Funeral For a Friend are awesome, 50 Cent is all over the TV, and aren't we all familiar with being in the red?

annma said...

Sorry about the difficulties to post comments. I suppose it's anti-spam bareers that makes it difficult.

I was told that "being in the red" is probably not a good translation (my daughter said it in French ;-). She referred to The Sims2 where people have color indicators about their needs and when the hunger indicator is red, well, you'd better feed the person!