I arrived in Foz do Iguaçu under heavy rain on Wednesday but the sky cleared for the first Latinoware day yesterday. In the hotel lobby I met Helio, Adriaan, Tomaz. Latinoware is a huge event with 4000 participants. The KDE presence is impressive: we have there the Live Blue Bahia KDE group and the Minas Gerais KDE Group (Amanda rocks), both very young but very active. They already have amazing t-shirts with extremely nice logos, they are showing Classmates PC with KDE, they have a sheet presenting KDE. There is also the Open Bossa people, Metasys people to enforce KDE presence. Sandro, Tomaz teacher, did a 6 hours Qt workshop yesterday. He is going to do a KDE development workshop today with Tomaz for 4 hours. I also met Annie who is going to talk tomorrow.
Education and free software is something real in Brasil and I am meeting lots of people, we manage to communicate pretty well in English. This morning I went to a TuxPaint talk done by teachers using it for educational activities in mathematics and Portuguese. I met a teacher telling me he uses KDE-Edu programs in his school. The Classsmate PCs are going to be delivered in some areas with full KDE + KDE-Edu apps. We need a Brazilian person doing a talk about Edu in the Educational track.
I went yesterday to the KFluid talk, in Portuguese but I could understand it with the help of the slides. KFluid is a bluetooth plasmoid and it's amazing. There's lots of work put in the design and it was first designed then coded.
git clone git://gitorious.org/kfluid/kfluid.git
More later, it's time to head to Auditorium 1 for Adriaan's talk.
1 comment:
Annma, 2 things:
Why do you think it is FOSS is so popular in Brazil? I've been wondering that for a while...
Second, maybe FOSS in Brazil needs some Promo love ;-)
interviews with people that kind'a stuff. Can you send either me or the kde-promo list an email on this? You see a lot of ppl there, maybe you can help us get in contact with some of them...
Post a Comment