Saturday, November 27, 2010

Bug Reporting (2) How to write a good report

A few tips on how to write good bug reports:
  • write in English: you can switch every KDE application to English in the Help menu. That can help you in explaining what happens.
  • be specific: one bug per report only! Do not mix problems in the same report.
  • be clear: explain the steps that lead to the bug so that we can reproduce them easily
  • include screenshots: a picture is worth many words so attach a screenshot to the bug report (using KSnapshot for example). Do not link to an external web link which can expire, use the Attachments link at the bottom of the bug report.
  • include the backtrace within the bug report as a comment, it makes it easier to find duplicates for us (do not attach the backtrace as a text file)
  • clearly separate facts from speculation: only describe what happens. For a design problem, include a mock-up if possible.
If you are testing trunk or the beta, if you kept your precedent settings, sometimes you will want to check with a new user or by setings a new $KDEHOME (and restarting your user). Do not delete your $KDEHOME as you will maybe need the current files to compare with the new ones and also you would lose your settings!

The KDE forum has a new section about the Releases and in particular about the Betas for 4.6!

7 comments:

Fri13 said...

Nice short "remember-list" for new users. I would only suggest to explain to users what is $KDEHOME.

As all environment variables and such are just totally unclear for normal computer users.

Éden Alencar said...

why not in others languages?

annma said...

@Fri13: yes I should have pointed to http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/Environment_Variables#KDEHOME

@Eden: because English is the KDE project language and if I get reports in all languages I won't be able to understand them!

Éden Alencar said...

annma,

I'm feeling sad because is not possible to find a great team to work out in bug with translations at KDE. There are a lot of languages that are used around the world and there is no team to fix the commons problems. It's good to remember that many people do not speak English as a second language or natively.

annma said...

@Eden English is not my primary language. What is the solution you propose? How do you want us to find translators for bugzilla? How would you implement it?
If a user is willing to issue a bug report (which is already demanding, you need an account using an English interface) then the user must do it in English. If not, the user will rely on his language forums if they exist and someone else will report the problem. We already have great translation teams in KDE for GUI and docs but we need more people if we want to translate the websites. See for example userbase.kde.org and techbase.kde.org in your language to see if they are translated, the interface exists!

Éden Alencar said...

I do not know how to run the KDE bug reports. As I do not know if it's possible, I believe that a translation team bugs would be a better solution. I believe that user who has an average knowledge would feel more comfortable using kde in any language.

zuargo said...

I did not know, I can switch the default language of KDE apps by english trough the help menu.

I launched it by:

LC_ALL=C app

Thank you.