Thursday, March 31, 2005

Painting

Ah, KDE developers are very patient, I have to admit. Yesterday I was asking them silly questions on QPainter and QResizeEvent and today I bugged them about free fonts and how to get a font installed with 'make install'. In KDE-Edu we are in total creativity mode and thus we want fancy fonts. I found (a few) GPL fonts on the internet and it seems we can use them (the GPL mention has to be inside the font info, thanks Boujewijn). I started working on KHangMan new style, battling with QPainter and I committed a somewhat broken code as I feared that with the move to svn I would remove my cvs source and thus loose the code.
About another subject I was quite appealed to see those silly surveys advertised on the Dot with the term 'usability' in the title. This has nothing to do with usability in KDE and I found it chocking the Dot is now advertising some student work... Obviously people were mislead by the title: KDE desktop usability survey. However this group also has the same survey for gnome and windows and the first part of the survey asks the user top compare KDE to the 2 others. The surveys themselves and the questions don't strike as leading to usability conclusions. Users are mislead if they think this will help KDE usability. They're wasting their time. I bet we'll never see any results from this group (2 people only) as they already did one survey and it's not mentionned at all on their website now (see
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-licensing&m=110634135202943&w=2
)
Anyway, some real usability work is done in KDE and it's done by people taking time to run a KDE program and write down all the problems they find.
Quick, I must post this before tomorrow, i don't want to be a fool!

No comments: