First Josef wrote the KHotNewStuff code. KOrganizer used it and maybe some games. Then KHangMan got so many data that the Languages menu was getting ridiculously long. And would a Catalan play in Tajik? So there was no point in shipping all the data for everybody. Worse was KLettres for which data are sounds thus take some Mb. KNewStuff was my answer, I am not sure how I got aware of its existence. Self-credit: I pushed KNewStuff in kdelibs ;-) Nowadays, KHotNewStuff is used in many KDE applications. For those who don't know what it is: it allows to install new stuff (new data, words, sounds, wallpapers, calendars, ephemerides....) in your app and this data is immediately available. Aaron recently made a new design mockup (yes, I know, how does he manage to be everywhere?) and Enrico from the amazing Kpdf team implemented it today. You can find it in the kpdf_annotations branch of kdegraphics/kpdf. That's what I like the best in Free Software development, this team work and smooth and constructive move forward.
Today KLettres reached Africa as John and Cormac sent me sounds for the Luganda language (main indigenous language of Uganda). Amazing, thanks to those two contributors!
And Neville told me he installed KDE-Edu on several PCs in his local library and he says that people love Linux and KDE-Edu.
Indeed, there's a K in team!
No comments:
Post a Comment