Friday, February 29, 2008

Contributions

These past days I got contributions to KDE-Edu applications and that remainded me how Educational applications are different from other applications in the sense that they need data.
Pavol Pitoňák sent 5 KTouch keyboard layouts. KTouch changed the way keyboard layouts are done in KDE 4 and thus all layouts need to be redone (there's a keyboard layout editor integrated in KTouch but still you need to update keys and it can be quite tedious). Thanks a lot Pavol for these contributions!
Amine Say sent me the KLettres alphabet sounds in Arabic. Recording sounds is a difficult task as you need clear pronounced sounds. These sounds are integrated in the Arabic l10n module so all Arabic KDE users get them and they are also available via KNewStuff in KLettres.
I tested the sounds and got Arabic l10n module to further test in RTL mode. The kids theme did not accommodate the letter too well so I pushed the bear to the right a bit in the SVG background theme.

Very impressive work, thanks Amine. KLettres has now 19 languages sounds. While being quite a simple program, it's nevertheless efficient and liked by users.
I detected a couple of bugs in KLettres in the process and refactored a bit the language detection code. The program needs to scan for globally installed sounds and locally installed ones (via KNewStuff) and then to update the Languages menu with corresponding languages names in the correct user language. A crash occurred when somehow the current chosen language was removed by the user. In programming, there must always be a fallback of some sort, an index cannot be equal to -1 for example...

5 comments:

elcuco said...

Sweet, Arabs are contributing translations into KDE once more. Great news.

Unknown said...

It would be cool if KDE edu apps have some very neutral themes (not childish)... I don't want to give this kind of graphism to my adult students :-/

btw, I don't critisize the actual themes, they are great but not always very adapted for all public :)

Unknown said...

Hi!

You may be interested to use pronunciation files from Wikimedia Commons.

See also http://wiktionary.org and http://www.omegawiki.org as source of translations (actually pronunciation files from Wikimedia Commons used there too).

Eugene.

annma said...

Hi Danakil, I'd be interested to know how you use KLettres with adults and our artists will be very happy to add a new theme in KLettres (there are already 3 themes btw, I captured that one for the screenshot as it was the one who posed the problem in RTL languages but it's indeed the "kids" theme). Thanks in advance for providing more info.

annma said...

Hi Eugene, yes indeed the Wikimedia Commons sounds would be a nice addition to extend KLettres. We need more Wikicommons/Wikipedia/Wiki* integration in all KDE apps and we're slowly getting there.