Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Collaborative debugging

I installed a clean trunk with a clean build on a clean $KDEHOME. That allows me to test things as they are as defaults. I discovered a bug in the French translation but the translation itself was not faulty and I could not find where to start looking to debug it. So in that case, I have a strategy (I don't give up): I keep pestering people in various IRC channels until someone can confirm the bug. I got a French Mandriva developer confirming the bug, that was a great first step (no, I'm not mad! unless both of us are). I kept asking around and a Danish translator remembered something and in the process he gave me more knowledge about the bug. Then coles (IRC nick) stepped in and hop! in minutes he debugged it and tested a patch, refined it, went to ask some core devels and got the fix in! I would not have been able to fix it and that's what a team is about. Pieces of knowledge added together and then the final touch, in this case done by coles. The patch is now in, that was quicker than to issue a bug report which would have stayed unfixed maybe as developers tend to keep their desktop in English. Thanks to coles and dfaure to review the patch, to neoclust to first aknowledge the bug, to pinotree to not send me to hell and to cb400f for Dutch input!
I also witnessed how fast bugs are closed in Plasma: the IRC channel has a bot which pastes bug reports so we can chat AND triage AND fix (AND drink tea AND keep an eye on kids at home AND...). Aseigo fixed a bug minutes after it was issued, you can check it on https://bugs.kde.org/weekly-bug-summary.cgi. That's what the 4.3 beta 1 is about: finding bugs and crushing them, even if I can't do it as fast as aseigo!
I will give a talk about Education and KDE next Saturday in Toulouse, for teachers, in an event organised by a teacher in order to raise awareness about Free Software. The event is splitted on 2 days, it started today (I couldn't attend because of the kids) and will continue on Saturday with several tracks: talks, workshops, install parties.

No comments: