Monday, August 29, 2005

KNewStuff

Ah, it's hard not to be at aKademy, the KDE conference! There was a talk about KNewStuff and I would have had many questions! (well, the author is surely happy I was not there ;-)
KNewStuff allows a user to download extra data for an aplication through the internet. For example, special calendars for KOrganizer or new wallpapers in KControl for your background. This is a very good idea and it mainly works really well. However there are still some issues that I raised for some time now through the mailing lists but they were never addressed, due to the fact that they occur only for Edu stuff.
1) the server problem: in kdeedu we don't have a server to put our stuff on and to modify/fix it as we need to so we use the edu website server which is cluttered by those data
2) translations of the .xml files. I don't believe the web interface will ever work.
3) a new issue is to allow Administrator rights during the installation of new stuff. That will be necessary for schools for example. A teacher will not want to install the stuff for each user.

What is missing at aKademy is a way for us, people not at the conference, to ask questions. There should have been a way to ask those before the talks so the presenter would have had time to assess them and answer them.

No comments: