Friday, June 02, 2006

Free Music

Having a baby I post on baby-related forums to learn the latest about baby stuff. A mum posted a link to a lullaby song whe wrote for other people to listen to it. It was such a hit that her ISP closed her website within the day because of too many downloads. That brought me to have a closer look at free music and I discovered a very nice French website. Artists have here links to their free music (most used license is Creative Commons). They prefer being known by making their music free (otherwise in any case they would get like 1 euro only for each CD) and having people come to their shows for example. People of course can buy CDs as well. I totally agree to this point of view and my kids also always buy CDs and shirts of their favorite bands.
The song-writing mum discovered "naturally" the benefit of making her song free in order to assess the public response to her work and in order to make her known. I helped her to upload her lullaby on http://www.archive.org.
Baby Clarisse is growing well and she loves music!

1 comment:

annma said...

wow, yes, I just listened to Lonah!
superb website, jamendo.com.
thanks for the link, it's bookmarked.