Sunday, January 07, 2007

Free Software Event

Yesterday I went to a free software event in a Cyber Base in Auch (France). Cyber bases are as cyber café except free, they are meant to provide free IT access to citizens and they offer some training in office and such. Auch cyber base is having a Free Software event and I was part of if yesterday (couln't leave my husband in charge longer ;-), demonstrating edu software. First I'd like to praise the organizer Benoit Falque who had everything ready for us when we arrived. We were 4 members of my LUG to attend. A buffet was provided and machines were ready. The conference room was nice, with a big screen, wifi and a laptop provided. My teammates LUG members gave talks on Free Software (Thomas), GCompris (Bruno, GCompris author) and Wikipedia (Guillaume, a Fr Wikipedia member). Meanwhile I demonstrated edu software. I had a PC running Edubuntu Live CD and my laptop running KDE 3.5. I met all sort of users: families with kids, teachers, older people interested for their grand-children. Most of them were not aware at all of Free Software but were very open to the idea. Giving Live CDs is cool as they can instantly use the software. I got interesting feedback about KDE-Edu: teachers would like a KEduca replacement and they are also keen in inputting their own data in apps whenever possible. I also chatted about edu with Bruno who drove us all to Auch.
I also saw cool demos of 3D desktop with Beryl and it was the 1st time I saw such effects (cube, 3D snow all over the desktop,...). Someone also demonstrated a new game Nexuiz.
I'm glad to be part of such an active LUG and I'd like to thank them all for their involvement and team spirit! Thanks also to the guy who drove me back and whose name I don't even know!
To finish, love to Deb with a (p)why who is back in Lyon!

2 comments:

Fabrice said...

Bonsoir, je me présente: je m'appelle Fabrice. Je suis celui qui t'a ramené samedi soir. C'est vrai que l'ambiance de cette journée était tellement chaleureuse, qu'on en à oublié les présentations. Ce fut en tout cas un réel plaisir de rencontrer des personnes de grande valeur, qui ont su rester simple et à l'écoute.

Au plaisir de se revoir,
Fabrice.

annma said...

Merci Fabrice de m'avoir ramené, j'espère que tu as pu rentrer facilement ensuite. A une prochaine fois j'espère,
Anne-Marie