Monday, January 15, 2007

X && SVG

Until now I had a problem with my X setting and my laptop was slow in rendering pictures. I thought it was due to some libs and did not go deeper in the matter. Ervin, whom I met last wednesday at Toulouse LUG, told me it was my X conf. I have a NVidia GeForce 7400 and I used the nv XOrg driver. So I settled to fix it. I had to install nvidia drivers from NVidia in order to fix this and that took me several days last week. Somehow in my usual user I ended with a blue screen! With the help of Mandriva IRC people I got it all working again.
I could demonstrate Nexuiz to my son. I did not manage to get compiz work but I don't have the time to tweak it.
Yesterday (we should have gone out but Léah had a nasty stomach bug) I implemented SVG rendering in KHangMan (before I thought SVG rendering in Qt4 was slow while it was my machine...). The great thing about Free Software is that you have sources from other people to dig in. As I am not a "real" programmer (i.e. one who learnt it properly) I really need to "study" other people code. It's easy to see the difference between a self-taught person (me) and a "professional". Just look in KHangMan sources and KGeography sources for example. That does not mean KHangMan code is crap, it just does not flow like KGeography's does, it's not so intuitive. That also does not mean I feel I can't code. It's just that I have some areas to improve to master OO programming.
Implementing direct SVG support in Qt4 is a matter of very few lines of code, less than with pixmaps.
I toyed with the idea to enter the Qt Centre Programming Contest in order to raise my knowledge but I probably won't have the time. It seems quite demanding. My idea was to implement a KEduca replacement in Qt as it's a very needed application. People kept telling me so in Auch and it also came on an edu-related mailing list. Having it cross-platforms would be great although it could be ported to KDE later. But I don't want to pursue too many goals and reach none!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't KEduca already using Qt? Or is it too intertwined with KDE to be portable to other Qt platforms?

annma said...

yes KEduca is Qt/KDE but has not been ported to KDE4. KEduca was not maintained these past years and thus was not working properly. We dropped it. That's why we need a new program to replace it and it will be easier to restart one from scratch.
It can be done as Qt/KDE as there's a good advance on building KDE apps on Windows and Mac. Qt-only was only for the purpose of the Qt-Center contest.
See you soon Pierre!

Anne-Marie