My personal motivation changed over time. At first when installing my first Red Hat I did not realize the freedom part, the technical challenge of installing and running it appealed to me. Then I understood a bit that it was all done for free over the internet. After playing with stuff I found KDE the desktop that I was comfortable with, I sticked to it. So I started translating to French and that helped me improving my English (I happened to live in England and not speaking well at all). I was motivated by learning new things mostly for myself (so it was very self-centered), the idea of giving something was weakly perceived at that time.
After that I ran into an article about KDevelop and started putting together a Memory game. The article mentioned IRC which I had never used and when I went there in some KDE channels, I met the community and the passion began. I immediately felt at ease and welcomed (I think it has to be 2 sided in order to succeed, the willing from me and the reception from the community, as in contributing to any real life group). I was a total newbie and fell in all traps a newbie can fall in (I found back my first commits to CVS and I committed built files for example ;-)) but this is quite natural and strong peer help makes this learning process easier. The years before I was doing math courses by correspondence with a French University, that was before the internet and working alone to do a master in mathematics was not easy at all. I only got half of it ;-)
I got carried away by telling you my "debuts" but, to cut it short, now KDE has become a passion (not an addiction though as my life is primarily led by my family) and I welcome the intellectual challenge of constantly learning new things. I give and I receive.
What about your motivation?
4 comments:
"What about your motivation?"
Three main things, I think:
- the community (both socially and in terms of shared learning and mentorship)
- empowerment. Being able to just go and hack on software I use at will is incredibly useful, and in my first steps, euphoric
- assurance. I know that as both a user and a contributor to FOSS, I am supporting software that puts the user first - software that supports the ideals of Freedom, etc.
I am currently completely unmotvated, can't do anything productive, will have an exam at friday, have not yet done anything, currently anorectous…and that is also the reason why I have found and read this blog post. :D
Awesome, motivation :)
Nice motivation :)
Post a Comment