Friday, February 11, 2011

Collaboration == success

Following my last blog post I have been working with Romario, Farhad and Sinny to add the Apply button code in C++ applets: they added the applet they would work on on the wiki page with their name, publish the code on reviewboard , I would check it and test it and sometimes ask the maintainer to double check then they would push or I would if they don't have access. Nearly all the work is now done, thanks to them!

It allowed me to dive into the Git world. It's also amazing how Git experts are patient with us newbies and explain things clearly. So far I understand how to work on master. Next step will be branches!

Meanwhile in KDE-Edu we also are busy preparing the move to git. This also requires collaborative work. We will split the kdeedu module in git and we are preparing this right now in svn: all applications should build standalone. Meanwhile the kdeedu build itself might be a bit broken, you probably need to build and install the lib and then it'll build. Sorry about that. Thanks to Niko preparing the patch and to Jeremy applying it!
For the git move fortunately we have Ian and Nicolas checking all the rules. This is a tedious work as they need to ensure all branches history is also included. I am pleased to see that each application developer took time to check their rules and it shows how lively the KDE-Edu community is: when needed, people rally!

1 comment:

Ruurd said...

I can recommend the willgit tools, especially git wtf and git publish-branch. Cf.: http://git-wt-commit.rubyforge.org/