Thursday, February 17, 2011

India and Toulouse in March!

I'll be giving 2 talks at KDE conf.in in Bengaluru: one about how you can contribute to KDE-Edu with practical tips and some tasks to be done in various areas (development, yes, but also promotion, documentation, websites, ...) I plan to have slides (of course) but the slides themselves will be "light" so I'll release a PDF with precise details on what I said and which can't fit on slides! There will be also some wiki pages where people can apply for tasks. I blogged about Plasma Config dialogs in C++ applets to be adapted to suit the Apply button configuration: we coordinated this from a wiki page and 3 new developers stepped in to do the work, which is finished! I hope to generate the same interest about some KDE-Edu tasks.
The second talk will be about KDE documentation and to broaden it a bit, I'll talk about help in general: where can a user find help when she/he needs it in KDE? Again, the slides themselves will be "light" and I'll release a pdf (with sources of course, be LaTeX or .odt, I am not sure yet) which will have the details of what I said.
If you plan to go to the conf (and you should!) be sure to register now! See you there and come to my talks! Also don't miss the keynotes talks, they will be a blast and will give you deep insight about KDE! I can't wait to be there and I have to thank my husband who will be taking the week off to look after the children (it's holiday for the kids).

KDE-Edu is moving to git following kdelibs, kdebase and a bunch of leading projects already there. In git, we will split all KDE-Edu components so you will be able to build say KTouch standalone. We're working on the libs and also we are preparing this split in current trunk svn. That means you still can build kdeedu as a whole module in svn trunk but with building and installing the libkdeedu first. Sorry about that! You can also build components standalone. The move to git should have happened this week but hit some problems due to branches. Thanks to our awesome duo "eean" and "PovAddict" who are doing this work which is quite difficult and demanding. Stay tuned!

After India, there will be a release party in Toulouse for KDE 4.6 and nearly all the French KDE people will be there! We'll be having a general presentation on the Friday 18th followed with some drinks and on the Saturday afternoon we'll have 2 tracks of conferences: users-oriented and developers-oriented. Put this on your agenda and come! Thanks to our sponsors and to the efforts of the guys who made this happen! I'll talk about the KDE community, how we work together, what's the legal structure and so on, it'll be an insight from within KDE.

No comments: