Friday, January 14, 2005

Heaven Of High

On Wednesday evening was my LUG monthly meeting and I made a presentation about the coming KDE 3.4. I did not prepare it well but I started with the Konqi and the Magical Rope Of Curiosity video and that made my presentation a winner! Thanks a lot to 'basse', the artist who created it.
In my presentation, I noted how strong an artist community we now have. The svg wallpaper contest on kde-look demonstrates it. In KDE-Edu we also have a dedicated artist who sent me new great icons for KLettres (already committed in HEAD). He is full of ideas and I hope that we'll be able to implement them all, maybe not for 3.4 but for 4.0. This involves clickable areas on a svg background and in general, use of most svg possibilities.
I also praised the KPDF and Kicker improvements, the accessibility improvements and all the work of the translation teams.
Sadly I also noted that the docs are way behind, maybe even more than usual. New features don't seem to be documented and overall the KDE programs have outdated docs. If I mention that problem in the #kde-devel channel, the answer is 'you whine about it then do it' but well, I am not a super-woman. I know the doc team is doing a tremendous job, what lacks is only outside involvement. One developer told me he yelled for help on his mailing list and a user wrote the doc. That's great and I wish more users will get involved in that sort of tasks. Please, just write a few lines about your prefered program and send it to me, I'll include it in the manual!
I was quite busy during the holidays and only had time to read the Planet and my mail. On the Planet, I smiled when people refeered to 'their mum not being able to do this and that - computer related'. Time to break a myth: mums can do it!
And my blog title is a Tiamat track title, I wish I was Charles to see them playing!

No comments: