Tuesday, January 25, 2005

In A Dream

I am trying to work again on KDE after the extended holidays. Today is my first day since (not for, as I follow Charles's advice, yes, 's as there is only 1 Charles, 1 is enough, no?) the 16 December where all the kids are back to school. Léah, who is 6, is learning to read and is in a HangMan game phase. No wonder as her brother suggested me the game a few years ago and he is playing with her at the restaurant for example. It's great because it obliges her to think about the sounds and to associate sounds and writing. All those 'eau' and 'au' for o in French, all those 'in', 'en', 'an' and so on.
So I adapted KHangMan for her needs as even the easy file is not so easy for her. I added a QLabel with a picture of the object she has to find. A picture is easier than a hint. She has great fun playing it. The KMessageBox saying: "Congratulations! You won!" or the message "You failed" are absolutely boring for a kid that age and we must improve those kids apps with animations and such. That was the only thing I was not proud of, the new way of telling a letter has already been tried (by putting it in red and having a passive popup) is great and non intrusive, exactly as the usability report pointed out and playing the game is very smooth. KPercentage has an animated feedback with bouncing smiley but I failed to integrate the code in KHangMan. If an artist feels like doing 2 animated sequences of png files, one for right and one for wrong, feel free to create them!
I am now quite sure KHangMan does not have big bugs as those would be quickly detected by a kid that age. For example, Léah does not notice or does not care being in upper case mode...
Ah, and yes, moms can be 'hot'! Yeah! :-)

No comments: