Sunday, December 31, 2006

Upgrade

My husband's laptop had Mandriva 2006 and he wanted to upgrade as his wifi was not working since we are in France. He also wanted OpenOffice 2 and a couple of other new progs. The upgrade went pretty well except that there was no input possible in any app... After a few tries of different things I managed to find out that the kdebase- kdm package does it and probably conflicts with something else. I got the wifi working except that at boot Mandriva sometimes gives the wifi eth0 and other times eth1 and it only works when it's eth1. My husband is a konsole, emacs and gnuplot kind of user, doing fortran progs and office work for presentations on his laptop. But he is also happy using KDE for multimedia especially Kaffeine for watching our region 1 DVDs.
I ordered 100 Edubuntu CDs for a Free Software show next week but they'll only ship me 20. The CDs were sent but I did not get them yet. I hope to get them in time but I was very disapointed to see they shipped only 20. I'll demonstrate KDE-Edu and Bruno from my LUG will demonstrate GCompris as there's an Education focus thus I thought Edubuntu CDs were the best to give. If anyone knows an updated Live CD distro including KDE-Edu with different languages, i'd be happy to know about it!
Meanwhile I am busy finishing edu apps translations to French.

So far I went 4 times to the cinema in 10 days (watching a kid film with Léah, 2 girl films with my older daughters and a French film with my husband)! Holidays are relaxing and the weather is amazingly warm, especially after 4 winters in Canada. Life is good!

No comments: