Friday, December 28, 2007

Getting Closer

This morning I had to get up at 4:45am to get Blandine (#2) to the train station as she needed to go to Paris to get her visa for Brazil where she'll do voluntary work during a gap year. I hope that I'll be able to visit her and maybe go to a Linux event at the same time (time to get Parley in action and learn some Brazilian!). Anyway, back at home I was alone as the rest of the house lazily got up around 8:00 so I removed my KDE 4 install dir and my KDEHOME in order to have a clean KDE 4. I reinstalled kdelibs, kdepimlibs and kdebase. First thing I need to do with a clean setup is to set the keyboard to French. I foolishly installed my distro using English as I prefer it but every OS I know assumes that if you choose a language then you have the keyboard in that language. Wrong, I have a French keyboard. I started System Settings in regional & Language to set the keyboard in French and found a Junior Job (meaning something a beginner can do): redo the layout of this module tab as the keyboard list can barely show 2 items. This is still open if someone wants improve it without changing strings.
I found a few bugs here and there and even found people to report them so I could work on waiting things like testing Ukrainian files for KHangMan. Most of these bugs were fixed during the day, thanks to the devels dedication! This shows that indeed we're in full fixing mode despite the holidays.
I also concentrate on KDE-Edu fixes and translation to French. A KTouch dialog was too wide to fit in my 1280x800 screen when translated so I had opened a JJ for it. It was picked by Arnaud, a new comer in KDE and he sent a patch which I tested and committed, the dialog is now much better! Thanks Arnaud! Anyone can help and starting with bugs like that is a good way to get involved.

We're having nice Christmas holidays, just being the 7 of us all together is a joy, especially as Blandine will be far away soon. Tomorrow Debs's boyfriend will come for a few days which is nice. We don't have a big house (we're thinking of buying one in fact as Clarisse still sleeps in a cot that can be put in a small corner but soon will need a real bed) but we're having fun. Joachim our son got Guitar Hero (yes, I know, he uses this other OS) and the kids are doing contests which generate a lot of laughs.
I wish you all a peaceful and resting time!

2 comments:

Rafael Lerm said...

"time to get Parley in action and learn some Brazilian!"

People in Brazil speak portuguese. No one says that folks in USA speak American.

Maybe there are things you should leran before you go to Brazil.

annma said...

People in Brazil speak Brazilian Portuguese, not Portuguese. In French, Brazilian Portuguese is named "Brésilien" that's why I said "Brazilian". My daughter bought a "Brésilien" teaching CD and book.
And in France, we do say that people in the USA speak American. The US English is called "américain" (mainly because of the accent I think) and the US British is called "anglais".
It seems that you live in Brazil, I am surprised that you made this remark. KDE is translated in Portuguese AND in Brazilian Portuguese which shows they are slightly different.

Anyway I bet she'll speak fluent pt_BR in a few months!

As for me, if I go there, I'll probably only speak English!