Sunday, September 10, 2006

"Get Hot New Stuff" rant

Get Hot New Stuff (GHNS) is a dialog that allows you to add more data in some programs like more wallpapers in KControl and such. The idea is splendid but it needs to be improved in order to work more efficiently. The KDE-Edu project uses GHNS in several applications and we are trying to define the current problems for it and how to solve them. In the hope that someone will then code them for KDE4!
If you have some ranting to do about GHNS, you can list it on the wiki where I opened (with difficulty, I spent 30 minutes trying to find a "Create New Page" button on the wiki) a special page for it: GHNS proposal.
(thanks to Bugbuster on IRC who fixed the encoding of the page title)

Update on real life: I did get a fine for speeding on the road the other day...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

have you checked with the GHNS work that's already been started for kde4? project page is http://ghns.freedesktop.org/

there's also been work done on the GHNS dialog in okular iirc.

having a kde server for the hosting would be excellent, though.

annma said...

yes, I found the freedesktop page after writing the blog. I really hope GHNS will be better implemented for KDE4, I have been bugging Josef numerous times in the past to have something nicer. I fear that too much specs will make forget again the basics, we need the basics to work (nicer dialog, hosting problem, security,...) and not ratings and such.