Yesterday and this morning I wasted some time on what I thought was a bug. I started ported kdesdk/kapptemplate to CMake and as it's a bit complicated I ran it under KDE 3.5 to see how it works. Kapptemplate generates a kde project for you so you can start developing easily. It can generate 4 templates. So I ran KAppTemplate and choose to generate a standard KDE3 program but when compiling it, it failed. Something in the admin dir was wrong. "argh, a bug" I thought and dutifully I tried to fix it. However I did not think too much and started on the false assumption that the admin dir was not the correct one installed by KAppTemplate in the generated project. It's all done in scripts so I digged here and there, tried to analyse the scripts and so on. After some two hours on that I finally had the idea to diff the current used admin with the template admin and what? they were the same! So my assumption was wrong from the start. It was in fact a permission problem. I install KDE as my user and not as root and when I install those files, the permissions change (something with umask I was told on IRC, thanks mornfall). Maybe there's a bit of a bug here or maybe my distro is in cause or my umask but well, it reminded me to keep an open mind instead of a "I know it all" mind. And maybe not to work on Sundays!
So I am back in porting those templates to CMake which is not so easy but will make me better in using CMake.
No comments:
Post a Comment