Saturday, September 23, 2006

Wiki

I spent the last days in porting (part of) kdesdk/kapptemplate to CMake which was not very easy. kapptemplate is a bash script that generates templates for developing a new KDE application. If you decide to start a new KDE program, you install the kdesdk module and type kapptemplate in Konsole. The script ask you to choose what sort of program you want (normal KDE app, KPart-based app or plugin) and then the script asks the program name and version and checks your identity and email. Then it installs the files for your new program and you can start developing from there.
So it was a mix of bash and CMake commands. As you might know, I am not a developer or a geek and I never studied programming (I did a bit of Pascal part of my 2nd University year though, back in the 80' but that was maybe 10 hours struggling with floppy disks ;) What would take 2 hours only to another KDE developer (or 5 minutes if it's Laurent M ;-) took me the triple and some enquiries and help (thanks for Dirk patience and for Pino help). But kapptemplate did not interest anyone before as it has not been ported yet and having created a kde4 template, aaron suggested I put it there thus I did it.
So at the moment if you get kdesdk/kapptemplate from trunk, you can choose option [5] to create a base KDE4 application.
Maybe I'll code a GUI for it (like the KDevelop New Project wizard). Not sure if it is needed though and it's not on my priority list.
I also have been busy with aKademy preparation and I used (or messed with? ;) the KDE wiki a lot. I won't be at aKademy because my baby Clarisse is only 6 months 1/2 old (and no, bringing her would have been difficult because she does not like new places or new people and she is quite happy to have settled down a bit since mid-August). Pino will lead an edu BoF. I already mentioned in a recent blog the KHotNew Stuff page which I hope will lead to solving problems related to GHNS.
I also started a wiki page to get ideas about Wikipedia Integration in KDE4. Wikipedia is now used as a reference by many people and the translations in many languages are improving very quickly. It is a nice free tool which can be integrated in KDE-Edu programs and other KDE applications to provide the user an easy access to knowledge. I encourage all of you to fill in this page so we can achieve something nice for KDE4.
I wish all people at aKademy a very nice and produktive week!

No comments: