So last week-end we had the KNewStuff debugging and several developers joined either to get some clarifications on its use and implementation or to help hacking it. A branch was created and work began. I did not do much myself as on week-ends the house is full and I don't have a study (I work in the living room so to keep an eye on Clarisse). Also I don't get the full picture of KNewStuff2 code as it involves some aspects I am not familiar with. This is kdelibs code, a bit out of my league! (it depresses me not to be able to fix this kind of code and hitting my programming knowledge...) But thankfully Josef was there and he did the work, amost as the merge has not been done yet. He implemented feedback in the download dialog (which was my main concern). (* The Test That Stumped Them All)
I have been feeling a bit overworked (* War Inside My Head), in KDE and also at home. Organizing the KDE-Edu meeting is a first for me and I'm a bit worried, I want it to be a success thus all practical aspects are to be taken care of the best I can. Sometimes it's depressing to be seen as "the KDE-Edu boss" which I don't want to be and hope I am not. I sure want KDE-Edu to take its place within KDE and Free Software but I feel drained at times by spending too much energy in it. I also feel a bit alone in coordinating and impulsing it. (* Losing Time) At the moment I'm trying to get devels into debugging mode and ensuring all applications are up to the release. It seems KTurtle is currently unmaintained, following a good KDE 4 port and rewrite, thus will not be debugged and polished. It probably will have to be put on hold until 4.1, a new developer being interested in it. I also would like the website updated for the 4.0 release and am trying to see how this can be done, keeping or not KDE look, finding people willing to help.
Fortunately I'm heading to Boston tomorrow (* Overture) for FOSSCAMP and this is a much needed break! (* About to Crash) The perspective of it kept me going for the past 2 weeks. In preparation I have been following 2 IRC sessions of Ubuntu Open Week yesterday (thanks for the info, Jonathan). Very interesting and well managed, there's a channel for asking questions and another channel where the questions are pasted to the speaker and he answers, without much interference, keeping it all very easy to follow.
FOSSCAMP is an un-conference and this new concept and new way of working (for me) is very exciting. The aim is to put people from different projects together and the KDE crew is keen to make the most of it in creating solid bounds with other projects.
Let's just hope the Air France strike will not interfeer with my travel plans. Meanwhile the kids will be on holiday and my husband is taking them in Burgundy where both our families live (* Goodnight Kiss). When I come back from Boston I'll be alone at home for a few days. Thanks to my husband who is able to understand my inner self and give me the space, freedom and solitude I need from time to time (* Solitary Shell).
* Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - Dream Theater
1 comment:
It's normal that you feel drained after all the energy you've put in KDE-Edu 4.0.
And don't worry, I don't think anybody regards anybody as a "boss" in the KDE community. People just turn to you spontaneously for some reason :) Maybe because of your very long and dedicated involvement in KDE-Edu development and coordination :)
I've seen you many times writing that you don't understand this or that code. And now you say this is depressing you. Well, you should not satisfy you with this state of things; no code is too difficult for anybody to understand and if you ask questions I'm sure everybody will be more than happy to help you. I know Carsten helped me a lot to understand Kalzium's code. Likewise if you want to understand KNewStuff its maintainer will probably help you !!
And thanks for organizing the meeting. How does it feel to be a conference organizer? That sure must be time-consuming.
--Benoit Jacob
Post a Comment