Saturday, May 12, 2007

ODF Saturday

I travelled to Berlin yesterday, stopping at Munich (I was amazed to see that coffee and tea are free in Munich airport! However while I picked a wifi network it did not want to go to any other webpage than the one that said: pay in order to use the wifi network!) Anyway I was there for only a short time. Thanks to the nice organization, I took a bus then the U Bahn and arrived around 9:30 pm in the front of KDAB offices except everything was dark, the gate was locked, there was no KDAB logo and noone in the neibourhood knew about it. As I don't have a cell phone, I was wondering what to do but at that point Inge and everyone arrived from dinner. The KDAB offices are really nice, we have plenty of rooms, network is working. The hotel as well is perfect, quiet (our room is on the back side) and clean. I was happy to meet Claire again! Today David Faure gave as a presentation about ODF (ODF in a nutshell!), considering the specs are more than 700 pages you can imagine there's a lot to say about it. His talk was very neat and easy to follow and we carried on after lunch which we took at the office. Thomas concluded with some slides about Flake. We then discussed about sharing a bit of KOffice libs with the rest of KDE in the extend of what is possible in order to ease the use of ODF in other KDE apps. You can read about it on the Dot! I gave my point of view on what KDE-Edu can gain using ODF. I also worked on the website. We then headed for dinner and Ellen joined us thus we were actually 3 KDE women :) No need to say it's really nice to meet people in real from Ingwe the efficient organizer to Philip to whom I talked about doc quite a lot on IRC in the past years. Thanks to the sponsors for allowing this gathering, it's so much efficient to work in real than through virtual channels!
Oh and I forgot to add that I have the "smurf" flavour in the icecream distributed network! Isn't blue great?

1 comment:

jospoortvliet said...

blue rules ;-)

I saw blue icecream at the foodplace we bought lunch, maybe I should've taken some for you ;-)