Thursday, May 31, 2007

KDE 4 talk

Yesterday evening I presented KDE 4 at my LUG, more from a user point of view than from a technical one (several of my slides were maybe too technical, for ex. the one about cmake). Dolphin, Plasma and KWin were well received as well as all the rest of the work. A big cheer for the new look of the games and for Kalzium 3D for example. I explained the new libs (the pilars), Sonnet is maybe the more waited for as it's the one which users will interact with the more. I also talked about the project itself, how one can integrate it (especially as Alexis, one of ervin's student who worked on KPlato was there), how the work is done, etc (the human part).
I am quite new to the LUG as I started last September and due to my little family I cannot take part to week-end events and I cannot be present to all meetings. So I did not know most of the people who attended. I noted several people in their 30s and 40s. Two of them went talking to me afterwards, they have kids and use KDE-Edu applications. As we'll do next meeting about Free Educational Software with 4 mini-talks (one from me about KDE-Edu) this is encouraging!
This is a good way of promoting KDE and 2 people asked me about helping for translations, I'll add a slide with contacts before putting the slides online.
ervin also started monthly KDE workshops, one Saturday per month, so that people can help each other in coding and socialize about it (luxtin, there's no valid excuse to play the Wii under false pretence of broken build!)
While I mention my LUG, there's a neat thing: every 4th Thursday of the month we have dinner together in a cool restaurant (they offer a free drink to ladies ;) and our other halves are also invited.
And we'll have Richard Stallman in Toulouse the 14th June!

5 comments:

liquidat said...

I wish we would have a LUG like that around - the regular coding sessions would help me to get into programming and KDE (I can only do some bits of Fortran and C++, just simple things I need for my stuff).

Anyway, I wanted to ask what the current state of Sonnet is - I haven't heard much about, and the e-mail list has gone quiet for months now.
Can you already use it in applications? If yes, in which?
As a non-native English speaker i use two languages on my computer all the time next to each other, and Sonnet would really help here. It is one of my favourite features of KDE 4!

Bráulio Bhava said...

Could you please send me you slides? I'm about to make a presentation on my university (UNICAMP) about CMake and autotools and maybe your presentation can help on CMake. My email is brauliobo@gmail.com

Thanks
Bráulio

Anonymous said...

I'd really love to help out with KDE 4 development, I am currently prepping my laptop to be my main KDE development station so I can get a feel for how things work.

P.S. I sent you a kde mentor request, did you receive it?

Cheers,
GA

annma said...

Thanks for your comments, I was a bit short of time to answer quickly. Liqidat, I am not sure what's the current state of Sonnet, I'll try to find out.
Braulio: my slides are in French and the one about cmake only says that we moved from automake to cmake (but users don't know what automake is so that's why even mentioning that was too much).
Guillermo: yes I got your mail yesterday. I'll be happy of course to help you in KDE4 development and I'll be happy to guide you! Welcome to this exciting KDE 4 project!
I suggest that maybe you first build KDE 4 with the help of the techbase doc.

pavi said...

Bonjour annma , Je sais un peu de francaise .. :)
(If you remember I was translator in telugu)
I am very much interested in KDE 4
I want the slides of your kde 4 presentation at your LUG.
could you please provide a link for it