The down part first: my enemy the evil utf8 encoding striked again. I fixed a bug in KCalc but I was working in Kate on some French translations thus I opened a few files as utf8. When I opened kcalc.cpp, it also opened in utf8 and I did not notice, I made my change which was a string fix and compiled, checked KCalc, saw nothing wrong, committed. It appeared that the save as utf8 messed a few other strings :< So while I was happy to fix a few bugs, I made some people unhappy... Thanks to Nicolas Goutte for cleaning my mess, that was nice of you.
So this is a bit discouraging because there are so many bugs and it is said that some are easy to fix but in fact, it's not so easy.
Rich said that he is working on making Kate emacs-like. I never used emacs as I was not an IT person until recently but it seems this utf8 business requieres emacs as emacs scans the file and open it with the correct encoding if I understood correctly. So go, Rich, and add emacs-like functionality to Kate, I'll be forever grateful!
Up now: a very nice and complete usability report was published today about KHangMan. Paul, a new comer in KDE, stated recently that he wanted to help in usability so I suggested that some edu programs might do with a study. He produced a high quality report and I immediately started to implement some of his suggestions. That's how we can work together improving software.
Akademy is starting and reading blogs and seeing pictures is really good. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We'll work together via IRC #akademy, I hope to chat with PhilRod about docs and with a few other teams as well.
Some people are amazing in KDE. A guy named Roger Kovacs, who does not speak Tajik but is interested in Tajikistan, put together the KDE Tajik translation team, he manages the team work, he sends CDs with the latest KDE to some translators and so on. He even sponsored a Tajik translator to aKademy. So, if you are at aKademy, make sure you say 'hello' to Victor Ibragimov who I myself salute as well as Roger when he'll get there for 2 days.
No comments:
Post a Comment