Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Rm tricks

I was trying a KDevelop template yesterday and it did not work. Someone told me to remove any config files left in .kde/share/apps/kdevwizard so I copied & pasted that to cd it in the konsole. Unfortunately, I did not see the folder kdevwizard was not there and I was in my home. I coldly issued a rm -Rf (I was in my home dir) and after a few seconds realized it and cut it with CTRL-C. But some files were gone (all files except the . ones and 2 or 3 dirs) especially the translation I had been working on all day! Luckily I had a konq open to visualize this translation (it's an html file) so I was able to recover 90% of it.
I was pretty upset after that episode and I thought that first a remote backup location would be a security and second, the dirs have x,r,w permissions, maybe a non-delete permission should also be created for absent-minded persons like me...
At akademy I modified with Phil and Lauri the docbook template for it to follow more closely Edu needs. I'll put it in kdeedu/doc for newcomers to work from it.
Guess what, I am working on this translation I have to finish this evening and I (again) have an utf-8 problem!!! I don't know if it's OK to save a html source as utf8. So I'll probably encode all special characters like é or č (I wonder if it's shown actually)

No comments: