This morning we had a useless discussion on IRC about passwords. Passwords are too much for me, I never remember them. There are too many of them. PINs for the bank, credit cards, cellphone, kids cellphones, satellite dish, websites (only for kde: kdedevelopers, kde-look, bugzilla, the wiki come to my mind), card for this, card for that, email accounts, cvs accounts (kde cvs, kdevelop cvs, sourceforge, ...) and so on. I must have at least one hundred of them, no kidding. What about the Windows XP admin password that I choose totally randomly after I got a new PC and never wrote down and forgot about it immediately? I needed it recently... And the router password! The ones you use just once a year are the worst. Really, no normal person can stay sane and get proper random passwords for all these situations and never write them down. Once, I forgot my Visa card PIN while in England (I don't use it a lot but still) and I was so dismayed about the incident (I really never could not remember it and I felt like I really needed a RAM upgrade) that now I hate all those PINs and passwords with a vengeance. So well, I am a security failure as some of those passwords are duplicated. It seems that I might compromise KDE security though I don't see why someone should impersonate *me* to hack into kde cvs. And my password, while known by my kids (this is also where the failure is), is not a silly name or such stupidity but a proper mix of random hieroglyphs. And after all, the 'Open' in Open Source is a guarantee of community watch and thus security (that reminds me the "Be Aware! Neighbourhood Watch" signs in England). It seems that the kernel code was attacked so fears might be justified. I'll make Little Leah swear she won't tell my favorite password to anyone!
I closed a few (3) (trivial) bugs, no hope to get my name in the top 10 bug hunters but the spirit is there. Fact is that even if some bugs are easy to fix, it's not easy to find them in the database. Speaking of bugs, Leah and Jo have a cold, I hope it won't spread to the rest of the family. And tree leaves begin to become red and yellow, autumn is coming...
Disclaimer: titles are track names of my-favorite-band-of-the-moment, (nearly) nothing to do with the rest of the blogging.
No comments:
Post a Comment