Monday, September 27, 2004

Ruled by Secrecy

I've been banned from an IRC channel!!! I did not swear nor did I said any offensing words. I just asked why another user has been banned from the channel. This channel is #slackware by the way and it seems to be ruled by secrecy. To think we are on *free*node makes me laugh. It's the first time I've been banned from anywhere since I was 15 and got kicked out of my classroom for incontrolled laugh. The channel OP unbanned me after a while though after being talked to reason by another person. Ah, IRC is better than soaps!!!
All it took for me being banned was to ask why another person has been banned (this other person was banned because he used the F word in capitals. Well as I now live in Canada, I know that people say the f word very very often and they don't give a thought about that but maybe this ban was justified). So asking about a ban banned me and thus several of my kde-devel friends came to ask about my ban and were also banned. I hope you followed that, it's just a recursive ban.
[11:46:33] Can't join #slackware: banned from channel
[12:12:12] You have joined channel #slackware

Nevertheless it makes me wonder about power. When given some power, some people just turn into smal dictators. This reminds me of the film "The Experiment" I watched recently...

PS: I have saved the logs...

2 comments:

Eduardo Sanchez said...

Anma, this is Eduardo. You might remember me from the founding days of KDE-Edu. I just would like to tell you that the #slackware channel on freenode is famous for its authoritarian ops. A LOT of people went and setup #slackware on irc.oftc.net.

When Slackware 10 was released, these folks were kind enough to provide several very high bandwidth mirrors of the ISO images for the people to download. They're very nice in general.

Sorry for this annoyance that you had to endure.

annma said...

yes, it's only one individual who lost it for a few minutes. In fact IRC rarely has trouble makers and people beave nicely. And Slackware is a strong distribution, very slick. Nice to hear about you, Eduardo, I hope everything is OK for you, greetings,

Anne-Marie