Tuesday, October 26, 2004

It is about choice

Replying to Scott's blog, I really think that it is about choice. Unfortunately, choice means you are aware of existing alternatives and that's not the case. This is where we (free software people) have to work. Each time I tell people about OpenOffice.org, they jump on it. And they love it, they thank me and they begin to ask themselves: why is this possible? Why (in a bilingual country as Canada) can I have an office suite that I can set with 2 languages, this without paying 2 licenses and without breaking any law? Choice means thinking and thus freedom. There I agree with Scott as choice is about functionality as well.
I am an ardent advocate of Free Software on Windows as it opens people minds. And as I can see, minds just wait to be opened! Another example is Mozilla. For me, in my real life, Mozilla is the second choice people can make (after OO.org). And yes! They make this choice. In fact, I was amazed when I discovered that my own kids were aware of Mozilla and had chosen it (instead of IE). It indeed is about choice. Life is about choice. Software is about choice. Freedom is about choice. Of course, you have to live with your choice afterwards...

No comments: