Friday, October 01, 2004

Planetarium

Reading Clee's ear problem reminded me how Qtips can be damaging.
Boudewijn's story about his Uzbekistan friends made me sad. Being French, living in Quebec now and having to beg for Canadian permanent residenceship (tons of papers + $1500 per person, this in order to get the right to work here) emphasizes the solidarity and hopelessness I feel for these people. I am not sure Dutch people are aware of this situation because here people don't want to believe me when I say I cannot work (only my husband has a work permit, the kids have just studies permits and I am a visitor! more: despite having 2 diplomas, speaking and writing fluently English and French, I cannot by myself "qualify" as Quebec resident). Lets face it: when they have to vote, people cannot make a real choice as the medias rarely stress real-life facts. I do hope your friends will find a way to at least stay together.
Cornelius'blog made me run to the library and borrow a copy of Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon. I was lucky as they just got it and I am the first one to borrow it (I cannot buy all the books I read...).
Ah, Léah lost her first tooth! And Joachim is 14 today!

No comments: