Saturday, June 26, 2004

{auto / unser} make

Due to the freeze probably (we are getting restless) we (mainly uga and me) had a heated discussion on IRC about unser/auto+make. This begun with KStars not compiling with automake for some kernels. Then it was pointed that the kdeedu module does not compile with unsermake. At which point I got a bit fed up and stated that unsermake is not a kde requirement and is not well enough documented and only used by a bunch of geek-developers. So my priority is to make the kdeedu module compile with automake, to kill bugs, to improve docs and to have clean interfaces. Unsermake might be nice but should I go for it? What if the make fails? How will I fix it? I'm not annma-coolo as far as I know... When unsermake is official and users use it then I'll build my module with it. Until then, well, I just begin to master the Makefile.am-automake-language so I'll stick to that for now.
The problem with KStars is that it uses v4l for telescope and camera support and it was me that allowed it. I did not see farther than my nose as we say in French and did not enquire to other wiser developers about that. So this KStars indi stuff is entirely my fault. Mea culpa. Kstars is however the greatest application in the kdeedu module!

'Now, what do you own the world? How do you own disorder, disorder
Now somewhere between the sacred silence Sacred silence and sleep'

No comments: