Waoooh, how thrilling!!! First blog!!!
Now I am one of those stars that shine on Planet KDE :-)
Time for a résumé!
5 years ago, I knew nothing of computers, just got the Internet, knew nothing of Linux or programming or partitions and filesystems. I reckon I am internet-addicted and more: KDE-addicted!
I came into Linux by curiosity: got a RedHat CD in a PC-Home magazine, got curious, got informed by reading everything I could on the not-so-big internet-at-that-time, partitioned the family PC and installed RedHat (5.2 but 6.0 was already out I think).
After that I tried other distros, erasing the Windows partition in the process which gained me my own PC after the whole family realized I was seriously insane. I fancied Window Maker for a while then fell in love with KDE! I soon understood what Free Software is and that I could get involved. Being a mum looking after 4 kids at home, this was exactly what I needed to get my brain still working (previously I studied maths by correspondance) so I started translating from English to French. I helped in the French i18n team. I then found KDevelop which makes you think you can actually do some programming without knowing a programming language! I started a small prog called Kard (a memory game for young kids that I now re-coded http://edu.kde.org/kard) which was very buggy of course. Some great KDE people helped me debugging it and I realized I had to learn C++ was I to carry on trying programming. I also realized that KDE was a community and that people from all over the world were involved and ready to help each other.
Next step was IRC, and as I ommitted mentioned both my age and marital status but slipped I was from the female gender, I got lots of attention... Kidding ;-) Exactly when I arrived on IRC were Ralf and Eva thinking about KDE-Women so we started this. Then with Eva's help I started KDE-Edu and began to master (sort of) CVS, KDE development cycle etc.
I am still a very poor developer in terms of C++ ability but Rome was not built in 3 days, no?
So that's it, end of first post!
No comments:
Post a Comment