Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Orange - Don't Look Back in Anger

See soccer Euro 2004 today's matches for a hint on the color ;)

Seems like freeze is quite respected judging by the commits. I was wondering if doc updates are allowed or not. So everything is quiet, the IRC channel came back to life after the soccer with mostly small talk. I learnt however that the next KOffice release will depend on Qt4 ad that they'll switch to oasis (no, not the British rock band nor the juice!) I did not work a lot (that's to say I did not code at all in fact) having spent the whole morning at my youngest daughter's school to help for the last day (volontary service like helping at school is a bit like an Open Source community: people are here because they believe they can do something together and they have fun doing it).

I hate passwords
The other day, Windows XP did not boot at all on one PC at home (probably my son and his gaming friends having done something wrong). I had to fix it (it kept trying to boot and then reboot) but after a bit of luck, I accessed the repair mode but could not remember the admin password. I suppose this admin password is the very first one I had to choose after getting the PC but then I set up some accounts, with admin rights and totally forgot to write down that very first password. I never had to use it again after that, I believe. I am a very bad security person, I almost always use the same password and everyone knows it. I however have one the kids did not guess yet for the root account on my laptop. But passwords annoy me, there are too many of them everywhere (and PID and secret words for the bank, the satellite TV, the ISP,...) Fact is that 90% of the time I am not even sure what name I use, as in Europe women use their husband name while here in Quebec they use their maiden name. I always end up on the phone sounding like I try to cheat and the more questions they ask me to try to prove it's me, the more confused I am. I guess you are confused too now...
The Wallet is nice but everything is to be redone after a new install.
To come back to the PC story, after 3 wrong passwords, the repair mode was gone. I tried 3 more then gave up. Fortunately, why I don't know, but I got the scandisk in action and then Windows was fixed. Needless to say that I don't even have a CD for that box, everything is backed up on a partition. Very friendly when one cannot boot...

No comments: