Recently I came across 'Default' in several KDE applications. This 'Default" is set in Settings. For example a Default temperature for Kalzium State Of Matter. But then the user can use a slide to get the temperature he wants to study (the elements state is shown, it's very nice btw). So where does this default take place?
Same in KSirc where I can set utf8 as Default in the global Settings. But my prefered channels have no encoding set and I have to set utf8 manually. So I did not get yet what this Default setting is for.
Before that I had to battle with George who set a Default vocab file and while the user could study a vocab file the config stored the default and not the worked-on file. For me, default is now conveniently set in the kcfg file and is a setting used at first run and then in case something is messed. But after the 1st run, Default is forgotten and the user settings are used via config.
The 'Default' concept should not be so difficult. It's an 'action taken by the program when no alternative is specified' as tells my Oxford dictionary. In the new kcfg (KConfig XT) world, I think Default should not appear in a Settings dialog, it's a 'behind-the-scene' quiet thing that nobody (as in no user) bothers about.
Should I carry on ranting about utf8? Tsss, no. Let's forget about that... That'll be another blog...
'I can't find myself
I got lost in someone else'
No comments:
Post a Comment