Friday, July 02, 2004

Lost In Translation

So day after day we go closer to the real freeze. I have the feeling we did not get very much feedback from 3.3 beta 1 but maybe it's me out of tune here. The #kde channel is very quiet and people speak more of 3.2.2 than pre-3.3. I gave myself a good-kde-support-award after helping a gentoo user who got 3.2.2 plus half of 3.3 alpha 1 on his machine, not kdelibs or kdebase 3.3 but some other packages. He came first saying k3b was buggy but then k3b for 3.3 alpha1 could not find kcontrol... Helping in #kde is always fun especially with over-friendly users calling me 'mate', 'man' and 'dude'!
I decided to translate KTurtle GUI + doc in french considering that French is my birth language and that the doc is quite long and difficult. So it's with pleasure that I subscribed to the kde-francophone mailing list again (my first involvement in KDE was translating) and found there people I already know. Those people, in fact, do a lot for KDE but in France and their names seldom appear on the dot or elsewhere. The translation teams all do such a great job! I had trouble getting KDE in french: I grabbed the kde-i18n/fr sources and then, as usual, after make -f... I did make install without make. But make is indeed in that case. Took me a bit of a time to get it. Then KBabel is a tower on its own to set up, it kept wanting to find the /de folder some place where it did not exist. I am quite sure I did not set it to its full capability. I'll just try to translate in real French and not in Quebecois!!!

It's already 10pm, I had the house full of kids this afternoon/evening. My oldest daughter's new boy friend found me cool so that lightened my evening! My second daughter's boy friend (who I now know more) helped with the swimming pool as I casually and randomly throw some stuff in it and the water was not very clear. Hopefully tomorrow it'll be fixed. My son who is 13 had 4 friends around and they were making some footage with a camera, dressed up and emitting strange noises...
No wonder I did not work a lot... At least I need less sleep than them, they'll emerge tomorrow at nearly lunch time while I will have been up for at least 4 hours already.

'The Human Equation program aborted. Have a nice day. Dream Sequencer system offline.'

1 comment:

Albert Astals Cid said...

is mate for mans only?

P.D: I had to get a blog just to post a comment :S