Ok, we're all hyped up on #kde-devel talking about Qt4 preview (except for the few people who affect to be 'blasés'). So I grabbed the tarball and after 25 minutes (mobile Athlon XP 2500+, gcc 3.4) I got it compiled. What should one do then? You go to the demos folder and try them as they were made to emphasize the new stuff. 'arthur' is the new paint engine and looks quite attractive and shiny. It'll make it easier to include animations in our edu progs. The mainwindow also has got a relook. Try the interview demo, impressive set of classes based on the Model View Controller design pattern. Scribe is the new text rendering engine and Tulip is a set of container classes.
Fate of QCanvas seems unknown...
Qt is split into different libs so it'll be lighter to use.
Please note that this is just a preview, designer is not included and all classes have to be further worked on. But it'll allow us, developers, to get familiar with it especially as we approach freeze. It's also a good thing so during aKademy, talks on the future of KDE can be based on some real facts and maybe adjustments can be made by the Trolls.
From my point of view (not an expert one) it'll be an impressive step forward, more than from 2 to 3. I still need to polish my C++ knowledge though to be sure I can use Qt4 fully. So it'll give me a boost!
No comments:
Post a Comment